Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Yahoo Messenger with Voice (Beta

Yahoo Messenger with Voice (Beta)


Yes the Yahoo Messenger 7.5 Beta is available, complete "with Voice" ;)

All I can say is it looks very similar to Windows Live Messenger, from searching through your Yahoo Address Book to VOIP. I am liking the idea of giving your PC its own phone number a lot. Very very useful for on the road travellers and those who don't want a fixed landline phone number. Oh and they have free voicemail checking too!

Although its not a major client milestone, it looks like Yahoo are not scared of joining networks with MSN. Maybe I should switch to Y! MwV for a few weeks once the interoperability is up and running and really get to grips with using the client on a day to day basis. You never know what might happen, I could end up being the next Guillaume ;)

Update: I just had a poke around at the Phone In feature. OMG its sexy. Seriously, this is one of those features that makes people switch clients, and with interoperability just around the corner, that is something WLMessenger developers should be thinking about every single hour of the working day. (I'm actually having to hide my wallet so I don't signup for this service.) Can't understand why I'm making such a fuss? Imagine:

UK citizen having a USA number ($2.50 a month) + Free mobile phone minutes for people living in USA = International calls for $2.50 a month

No comments: